Lightning bolt leaves 8 families homeless
Eight families are looking for a new place to call home Monday after lightning sparked a fire at their Pleasantville condominium.
Sunday's storms caused a bolt of lightning to pierce building 16 at Foxwood Condominium.
The building quickly engulfed in flames, leaving residents to flee with just the clothes on their backs. Firefighters worked to extinguish flames that were even coming out of windows.
"Now we're homeless," said Don Friedman, who looked on in disbelief. "We just put $30,000 in restoring the place. Now it's all gone. Everything is gone."
According to a fire chief, the building is a total loss in danger of collapsing, meaning residents cannot retrieve their belongings. The units will be demolished.