Hudson Valley seeks relief as possible heat wave causes health concerns

Health officials are warning residents to be careful as feels-like temperatures are expected to be between 95 and 105 degrees over the next four days.
Places like Germonds Pool in Clarkstown are gearing up for a busy week, but they are concerned about staff shortages.
"People knew while signing up that it always gets short-staffed at the end of the year, but I don't think anybody anticipated how short we are this year," says Thomas McIvor, head lifeguard at Germonds Pool.
The tail end of the summer typically sees a smaller number of lifeguards as many head back to college.
"Even if we're doing the best that we can, there's still people going up and sitting post for an hour at a time, and it takes a lot it takes a toll because you have to pay such close attention when you're doing this job," says McIvor.
Congers Pool is so short-staffed that it's officially closing Saturday.
Clarkstown is asking anyone who is interested in becoming a lifeguard to call 845-639-6200.
Officials say Lake Nanuet or Germonds Pool are other options to cool off from the heat.
Experts say you should follow some simple guidelines when dealing with oppressive heat:
  • Stay indoors with air conditioning.
  • Avoid strenuous or high-energy activities, especially during the hottest part of the day.
  • Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
  • Stay hydrated with plenty of water—even if you're not thirsty. Don't drink alcohol, sugary soda, coffee, energy drinks, or other caffeinated beverages, as they dehydrate you.
  • Never leave children or pets alone in hot vehicles.
  • Wear a hat or even carry an umbrella when outdoors and wear sunscreen.
  • Eat small meals and eat more often. 
They also urge you to check on family and friends who are elder or more susceptible, especially if they may have lost air conditioning. If you or someone you know is experiencing heat-related issues (rapid heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, headaches, muscle cramps, vomiting, diarrhea), call your doctor.