Generous New Rochelle neighbor lucky to be alive after house fire

An elderly New Rochelle man known for his generosity to the community is in the hospital Saturday after a fire ripped through his home.
Fire officials say a faulty electric blanket sparked the fire at 86-year-old Richard Pond?s house on Mountain Avenue. Neighbors say the never-married Pond made the children in the area his own. He built a $7,000 basketball court for neighborhood kids and put up amazing light displays during the holidays.
Neighbors say Pond has lived in the house his entire life. They hope the community will come together to help a man they say has given so much to them over the years.