Fire displaces Mount Vernon family from century-old home
A fire ripped through a Mount Vernon home Saturday, leaving firefighters to battle flames and Mother Nature.
Alexandriane Sampson says she was running an errand when her daughter called and said their century-old home was on fire. Smoke detectors alerted Sampson?s family members. The Mount Vernon Fire Department got the fire under control in about 20 minutes. However, firefighters say the flames weren?t easy to put out because they had to climb up three stories to the attic with equipment in hot weather. The family is staying with friends due to the water damage.
Fire officials believe the fire may have been the result of an electrical problem.