STORM WATCH

Dangerous heat lingers through Friday; tracking weekend thunderstorms

Driving home message of drinking and driving to Scarsdale students

Students in Scarsdale spent the day learning about the dangers of drinking and driving Thursday. The message came in the wake of an alcohol poisoning incident involving a 16-year-old Bedford student

News 12 Staff

Jun 1, 2006, 9:58 PM

Updated 6,594 days ago

Share:

Students in Scarsdale spent the day learning about the dangers of drinking and driving Thursday.
The message came in the wake of an alcohol poisoning incident involving a 16-year-old Bedford student on her way to the prom. Doctor Joseph Ponticiello, head of the emergency room at Sound Shore Hospital where the teen was taken, says the results of alcohol poisoning could be deadly. Ponticiello says when someone passes out, the body shuts down and it is very possible to choke on ones own vomit.
The Scarsdale students learned the lesson through a driving simulator. School officials and parents hope the message will stay with the kids when they leave the school.
Related Information Police bust Bedford teens drinking before prom; several hospitalized


More from News 12