Blaze put out at Mosholu Parkway building
Firefighters extinguished a blaze that erupted in an apartment building on Mosholu Parkway Wednesday morning.
Fire officials say the fire broke out in at least two vacant apartments on the fourth floor of a building at 17 Mosholu Parkway N. After knocking down some walls, firefighters discovered the blaze had spread to the second floor as well.
Firefighters were able to put out the blaze in under an hour. Officials say five firefighters were injured while battling the flames, none of them seriously.
A fire chief says some tenants were evacuated via a fire escape, but no one was trapped inside the building.
Fire officials are still in the process of determining the cause of the blaze. According to the superintendent of the building, the two vacant units where the fire started were under construction, and that might have led to the fire.
The superintendent says two families had been displaced by the fire, but they found places to stay while their apartments are being repaired.