9 tips for passengers using rideshare, taxi, limo and for-hire vehicles
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released tips for minimizing everyday risks of getting and spreading COVID-19, including tips for passengers using rideshare, taxi, limo and for-hire vehicles.
The CDC recommends that those using any type of transportation should follow these general principles: practice hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette, practice social distancing, wear cloth face coverings, stay home when sick, pack sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer, and limit your travel if you are at risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
In addition to the general rules, here are the nine tips for passengers using rideshare, taxi, limo and for-hire vehicles:
1. Avoid contact with surfaces frequently touched by passengers or drivers, such as the door frame and handles, windows, and other vehicle parts. In circumstances where such contact is unavoidable, use a hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol as soon as possible afterward.
2. Avoid accepting offers of free water bottles, and avoid touching magazines or other items that may be provided for free to passengers.
3. Use touchless payment when available.
4. Limit the number of passengers in the vehicle to only those necessary.
5. Avoid pooled rides or rides where multiple passengers are picked up who are not in the same household.
6. Sit in the back seat in larger vehicles such as vans and buses so you can remain at least six feet away from the driver.
7. Ask the driver to improve the ventilation in the vehicle if possible — for example, by opening the windows or setting the air ventilation/air conditioning on non-recirculation mode.
8. After leaving the vehicle, use hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
9. When you arrive at your destination, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.