Wallkill declares state of emergency as virus spreads across Orange CountyPosted: Updated:
The Town of Wallkill has declared a state of emergency as dozens of people are under self-quarantine due to coronavirus.
The state of emergency gives the supervisor authority access to town funds and assets to protect the public during this health disaster.
Four schools in Orange County all closed today with either a staff member, student or relative now under self-quarantine.
School districts affected with staff and households under quarantine and now closed for the day are Middletown, the Florida Union School District, Monroe-Woodbury and Pine Bush. All Catholic elementary schools in the Archdiocese of New York have also decided to close.
The county's first confirmed case of coronavirus remains hospitalized in the county under isolation.
Health officials also confirmed Thursday that a St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital patient in Newburgh tested positive for COVID-19, as well as a Crystal Run Healthcare patient in the Town of Wallkill the day before. As a result, dozens of people who had direct contact with those patients, including hospital health care workers, are under self-quarantine.
Wallkill officials have also suspended town court operations until next month.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: Coronavirus stories from News 12
GET INFORMATION: Coronavirus details from the CDC
CORONAVIRUS PREVENTION: What you can do to protect yourself
GET THE FACTS: What you need to know about coronavirus
BY THE NUMBERS: The latest statistics from the CDC
PHOTOS: The impact of the coronavirus outbreak around the world:
News 12 will host a 30-minute call-in show every night this week at 7 p.m. from March 9 to March 13 where experts will answer your questions about the coronavirus. The show will be followed by a special Facebook Live Q&A. The call in number is 914-378-4610.
- The ship, docked at Pier 90, holds about 1,000 hospital beds, has several operating rooms and an onboard pharmacy.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for the new coronavirus.British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for the new coronavirus.
- Districts across Westchester County are preparing for another two weeks of school closures.Districts across Westchester County are preparing for another two weeks of school closures.
- The governor also said in his briefing that vital supplies are in the process of being distributed.The governor also said in his briefing that vital supplies are in the process of being distributed.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered all non-essential workers in the state to remain home and issued new guidelines on gatherings and mass transit Friday, as coronavirus cases continued to climb.
Dr. John Zaso discusses the mile-long containment zone and how the coronavirus has closed many schools.
- With two confirmed cases of the coronavirus in New York, including one in New Rochelle, Dr. John Zaso explains the latest developments and how to protect yourself.
The CDC is warning that coronavirus will spread here in the U.S., and since a vaccine won't be available anytime soon, Dr. John Zaso explains how we can protect ourselves.
- A new study suggests cervical cancer could be eliminated in the U.S. with a mix of a vaccines and regular screening.
- Dr. John Zaso says it’s important to talk to your kids and about their fears surrounding the Coronavirus.