Crews deep-clean Hudson Valley schools amid coronavirus concernsPosted: Updated:
Yonkers Public Schools say they are trying to do everything they can to keep students and staff from getting sick as the numbers of those infected with the coronavirus rise.
Superintendent Dr. Edwin Quezada has canceled many activities across the district over the weekend so every school can receive a deep cleaning.
While there isn't a known case of the virus in the district, Quezada says students and staff members will be sent home if they have symptoms or have come in contact with a person who does have the virus.
The district says it will immediately contact the county and state health departments before making a decision to dismiss classes.
The district says it will send home lesson plans if they decide to close.
PHOTOS: Impact of the coronavirus outbreak:
The New Rochelle, Somers and East Ramapo school districts are also conducting a deep-clean this weekend.
In New Rochelle, the superintendent called for Albert Leonard Middle School to be disinfected after a staff member might have been exposed to coronavirus.
In Somers, a parent of a student at Primrose Elementary School tested positive for the virus, causing the district to close its doors until Tuesday.
The East Ramapo School district posted a warning on its website saying five students have been quarantined for exposure to the coronavirus. The district says those affected buildings will be cleaned and sanitized as well.
A student from the Westchester Day School also tested positive for coronavirus, according to a post on the Village of Mamaroneck's website. In that post, village officials say they learned of the case Thursday. The school will be closed until March 17.
- The ship, docked at Pier 90, holds about 1,000 hospital beds, has several operating rooms and an onboard pharmacy.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for the new coronavirus.British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for the new coronavirus.
- Districts across Westchester County are preparing for another two weeks of school closures.Districts across Westchester County are preparing for another two weeks of school closures.
- Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, has tested positive for the new coronavirus.Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, has tested positive for the new coronavirus.
- The IOC acted on the recommendation of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, adding the Olympics to a long roster of sports events canceled because of the deadly outbreak.
Dr. John Zaso discusses the mile-long containment zone and how the coronavirus has closed many schools.
- With two confirmed cases of the coronavirus in New York, including one in New Rochelle, Dr. John Zaso explains the latest developments and how to protect yourself.
The CDC is warning that coronavirus will spread here in the U.S., and since a vaccine won't be available anytime soon, Dr. John Zaso explains how we can protect ourselves.
- A new study suggests cervical cancer could be eliminated in the U.S. with a mix of a vaccines and regular screening.
- Dr. John Zaso says it’s important to talk to your kids and about their fears surrounding the Coronavirus.