Residents awake to smoke and sound of alarm when house fire erupts in Campbell Hall

Posted: Updated:

A family woke up to find flames inside their Campbell Hall residence Sunday morning.

The fire started on the first floor in the back of the home on Sarah Wells Trail around 6:45 a.m.

News 12 was told the fire grew quickly and engulfed the home.

There were six people sleeping inside the home at the time of the fire. Fire officials say they were able to escape safely after they were woken up by the smell of the smoke and the alarm from the smoke detectors.

 Treze Bujaj says she was inside the house when the fire erupted, and that her cousin jumped out of a window on the second floor.

Officials say that person is the only one who was injured, suffering minor scratches.

Bujaj says the fire grew quickly.

"It was really small at first but then it got... the whole house was engulfed in flames in five minutes,” he says.

Campbell Hall Fire Chief Ken Lewis says it was a dangerous fire to fight, and that the fire could have easily been deadly.

"If there were no smoke alarms or anything, it would have definitely been a different situation,” he says.

"Apparently…the house burnt before the first time and they had to build it again,” says Bujaj.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."