Overloaded extension cord blamed for deadly Yonkers apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

An overloaded extension cord may have been the cause of a fatal apartment fire in Yonkers, according to Yonkers fire officials.

The fire on Saratoga Avenue took the life 64-year-old resident Peter Lettieri on Sunday.

MORE: Yonkers tenants recover following fatal fire at apartment building

MORE: Fire officials: 1 dead, 3 injured in 4-alarm fire at Yonkers apartment building 

Fire officials say 31 others, including 26 firefighters, were injured.

Investigators say the extension cord was under a bed in a first-floor apartment.

The Red Cross is working with six displaced families that include 26 adults and seven children, plus several pets.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."