Officials: 5 firefighters injured battling Newburgh house fire

Posted: Updated:

Five firefighters were injured on Friday while battling a house fire in Newburgh, officials say.

Orange County Fire Coordinator Vini Tankasali says four firefighters suffered minor burns and a fifth suffered minor injuries after falling through the floor on the second level of the home at 109 Bennett Road.

Tankasali says the wind caused the fire to move quickly and forced six department to rush to the scene. It was extinguished, but firefighters were continuing to douse hotspots into the late afternoon.

The injured firefighters were treated for their injuries and released from the hospital.

Neighbors told News 12 that new owners were renovating the house and had yet to move in.

Officials say the fire appears to have started in the chimney and quickly spread. They are still probing what could have sparked the blaze.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."