Workers say man electrocuted while working in New Rochelle could have been prevented

Posted: Updated:

Construction workers are calling for change after a 26-year-old died on the job last week in New Rochelle.

New Rochelle police say Alejandro Pellisa, of the Bronx, was in a cherry picker working on a building on Union Avenue when he accidentally hit high voltage wires and was electrocuted.

Workers say the accident could have been prevented.

"Training is one of the most important things to prevent accidents like this,” says electrician Dwight Robinson. “If he was aware of the dangers, it probably would not have happened."

OSHA and the city's building department are investigating the accident. 

A vigil was held in honor of Pellisa Thursday outside of City Hall.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."