Electrical fire sparks flames in Yonkers home

Posted: Updated:

A family and their two dogs were forced into the cold this morning by an electrical fire in their home.

Fire officials say they received a call at 8:15 a.m. about a fire at 18 Nimitz Road.

The eight family members and pets had already evacuated by the time firefighters arrived.

Crews say they came to the scene, flames were coming from an electrical panel in the basement. The fire got into the wall and raced up to the top floor. "We woke up and there was smoke all over. When we went into the living room. You could see there was fire behind the wall. We called 911 and they came in the blink of an eye," says one family member.

The electricity and gas was shut off, and crews were able to put the flames out quickly. No injuries were reported.

Fire officials think it will be some time before the family is allowed to move back in.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."