1st solar powered boat hits the Hudson RiverPosted: Updated:
There is a new way to travel across part of the Hudson River.
A boat, functioning 100% on solar power energy, has made its way down the river to help out neighbors in Dutchess and Orange counties.
"Solaris" is powered by rooftop solar panels and is the only solar powered boat in operation on the Hudson River.
The tour boat will help people in Dutchess and Orange get quickly across the water.
Right now, it's on lease from the Hudson River Maritime Museum for two weekends in the fall to see if communities will benefit from the added transportation.
"This is an experiment to help people get on the river and then see if there's a genuine interest in going to and from Beacon and Newburgh on the weekends on a boat," said Planning Commissioner David Church.
Solaris is running between Beacon and Newburgh Oct. 18 and 19.
- Jose Altuve hit a game-ending homer off Aroldis Chapman with two outs in the ninth inning and the Houston Astros outlasted the New York Yankees 6-4 to advance to the World Series for the second time in three years.
- A teen is facing charges after police say video of a rape was sent to several Brewster High School students on Snapchat.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Trick-or-Treaters in Yonkers celebrated the holiday early at the annual Halloween Spooktacular Saturday.
- More than 30,000 bottles of Johnson & Johnson baby powder are being recalled after arsenic was found in one bottle.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
News 12 wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedWC or #JustMarriedHV.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com! Use the #WCBirthdaySmiles or #HVBirthdaySmiles on Instagram or Twitter.