Yonkers landlords issued violations for lack of carbon monoxide detectors

Posted: Updated:
YONKERS -

A week after nearly a dozen people were sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning at an apartment building in Yonkers, the owners of the building were issued multiple summonses on Wednesday after officials found no carbon monoxide detectors inside.

An inspection also found that smoke detectors were not working at the Coyle Place building.

At the time of the incident, carbon monoxide levels were well above the lethal level, which was unknown without working detectors.

Yonkers Housing and Buildings Commissioner Vincent Pici said, "Our message is to be safe. To make sure you have the proper safety equipment and don't put the residents, whether they be your tenants or your family, in harm's way."

As part of the summonses, the building’s owners are due to appear in court on May 9.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."