11 rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, building condemned

Posted: Updated:
YONKERS -

A building in Yonkers was condemned and boarded up after 11 people were rushed to the hospital with high levels of carbon monoxide.

One family tells News 12 that there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building -- an allegation that could mean consequences for the landlord, authorities say. The family, who lives on the second floor, has been released from the hospital, News 12 has learned.

The children became ill first. Their father, Felipe Montiel, tells News 12 that his girls were vomiting, then Montiel's wife was listless; then he started to feel faint, too.

Montiel says he struggled to use his phone to call for help. He estimates that it took him ten minutes to get the number and make the call.

When firefighters arrived, they gave the family oxygen. The people living downstairs were rushed to the hospital as well.

Officials say the incident occurred around 8:30 a.m. Friday at 27 Coyle Place. Those hospitalized ranged in ages from 1 to 40 years old.

According to fire officials, one man returned home from an overnight shift and could not wake up his family. He then called 911.

Fire Chief Thomas Fitzpatrick says there could have been a tragic outcome if the man had come home any later. Upon arrival, fire crews measured CO levels at more than 1,000 parts-per-million, which is "many times" more than a lethal amount.

Fitzpatrick told News 12 that CO may have come from the building's heating system.

Con Ed has turned off the gas in the building, which consists of two apartments. Residents will not be allowed to return until repairs are made and the city considers the building to be safe.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."