Quick-thinking teens help douse fire at Mount Kisco restaurant

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT KISCO -

Some quick-thinking teenagers in Westchester helped put out a small fire at a restaurant.

Andrew Blum and his friend Liam Whitehouse, both seniors at Horace Greeley High School, were ordering burritos at the Tijuana Mexican Grill in Mount Kisco Friday when a grease fire suddenly erupted in the kitchen grill.

Blum says they noticed a small flame on the stove, but they initially thought the restaurant was just cooking with fire.

"As I watched it get a little bit bigger and bigger, I got a little bit more interested...intrigued in it, and I asked them if they needed help,” says Whitehouse.

Luckily for the restaurant, the teens weren't their typical customers. Blum is an EMT with Chappaqua Ambulance Corps, and Whitehouse is a volunteer firefighter in Chappaqua.

Blum said they went behind the counter and started by using a water extinguisher to contain the fire for a bit. He says Whitehouse tried to extinguish it with a dry chemical extinguisher, and it worked.

The boys say they eat at the Tijuana Grill a few times a week, and are happy they prevented what could have been a disaster for the restaurant and all of the businesses around it.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."