Dryer fire sparks smoky fire in New Rochelle

Posted: Updated:
NEW ROCHELLE -

Heavy smoke forced families to flee their home in New Rochelle this morning.

Fire officials say the blaze sparked in the basement of a multi-family home at 131 Second St. around 10 a.m. today.

Officials say they believe the fire started in the dryer in the basement. "Nobody really pays attention to cleaning out the lint and not only cleaning the screen, but also the duct which goes to the outside of the house. What happens over time and when there's enough buildup, enough heat, bad things can happen," says New Rochelle Fire Chief Andrew Sandor. No one was injured.

Fire officials say the tenants should be able to move back in later today.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."