Officials: Malfunctioning heater causes evacuation of Rye apartment building

Posted: Updated:
RYE -

Residents living in an apartment building in Rye were forced out into the cold Friday morning after a heater malfunctioned, officials say.

Firefighters and Con Ed emergency crews responded to the Second Street Lofts around 7:30 a.m.

The fire chief tells News 12 a heater malfunctioned at a new bakery that is under construction.

The residents were outside of their homes for about 90 minutes before being allowed back in.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."