Authorities: Fatal Mount Vernon apartment fire appears accidental

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT VERNON -

Authorities say it appears that the fatal apartment fire in Mount Vernon Monday night was accidental.

The fire broke out around 5:30 p.m. in a 16-unit legal boarding house on South First Avenue.

When firefighters arrived, they say they found a man in his 60s, already deceased, in the apartment’s living room. A female victim was discovered in the kitchen, in cardiac arrest.

Crews were able to revive her, but she’s still in critical condition at Jacobi Medical Center.

Although the fire was contained to the one apartment, all the other tenants had to be evacuated. They waited hours to return home.

Fire officials are working to pinpoint what sparked the blaze.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."