Firefighters extinguish smoldering hot spots after Mount Vernon fire

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT VERNON -

A stubborn fire in Mount Vernon was still smoldering Tuesday, one day after it ripped through a home and sent the homeowner to the hospital.

Firefighters were on the scene to extinguish the hotspots at the three-story home on East Fifth Street.

MORE: Officials: Woman rescued from house fire in Mount Vernon 

The home was destroyed after flames erupted around 3 p.m. Monday.

The homeowner was rescued by firefighters and taken to the hospital. She is expected to be OK.

It was not immediately known what sparked the blaze.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."