Fire leaves mom, 2 kids homeless just ahead of Christmas

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT VERNON -

A fire in Mount Vernon tore through a home and left at least one family homeless just as a pre-Christmas storm drenches the region.

The fire broke out in a third-floor apartment on South 10th Avenue just before 10 a.m. The building's landlord says a greasy pot was left cooking on a stove and that a roll of paper towels above it caught fire. A mother and her two children living in the apartment were displaced days ahead of Christmas.

"Luckily it was contained to that apartment although there's a great deal of damage to other apartments," says landlord Fredi Vacario. "Smoke damage and water damage ... but the most important thing - everybody's safe and everybody's out."

The fire chief says most apartments in the building are livable, except the apartment where the fire started. Apartments above and below the fire did sustain smoke and water damage.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."