Family members left homeless, loses pets in firePosted: Updated:
A family lost several pets after a fast-moving fire ripped through their house in Suffern on Wednesday.
Fire officials say flames broke out just after 1 p.m. at a home on Washington Avenue. The fire took several hours to get under control as crews from several different departments battled flames and heavy smoke that destroyed the home.
The homeowner, identified as Debbie McGhee, lived in the house along with her brother and three sons. One son was home when the fire started and he got out safely.
The family also had two dogs and three cats but only one of the cats survived, the rest perishing in the fire.
A space heater is suspected as the cause of the fire
Donations fund to help the family has been set up at the All Souls Community Church on Washington Avenue.