Smoke causes scare in emergency room at White Plains Hospital

Posted: Updated:
WHITE PLAINS -

Smoke caused a scare in the emergency room of White Plains Hospital Friday.

News 12 is told that patients heard an announcement over the loud speaker around 11 a.m. claiming there was a "code red."

Hospital staff says they smelt smoke and thought there was a fire in the building. Emergency room patients were then transferred to other parts of the hospital as a precaution.  

News 12 is told there was no fire, but the smoke was caused by a malfunction in the air conditioning unit.

A hospital spokesperson told News 12 no one was injured.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."