Ossining residents: Building is a fire hazard, not up to codePosted: Updated:
Residents living in a 12-unit affordable housing complex at 135 Main St. in Ossining say they are fed up with living in an apartment building that is not up to code.
Many of the residents say there is a lack of maintenance in the building and believe the building is a fire hazard.
News 12 obtained a building code order after a Freedom of Information request that detailed nine violations last month. This included not adhering to a fire code for a staircase that was supposed to go up to the roof for maintenance access.
“Basically, the entire building was like a chimney, so if there was ever a fire in this building, smoke would rise up, go throughout each floor and it would be almost impossible to get out of the building in the event of a fire,” says resident Matt Kachmar.
News 12 went to the village manager for answers.
"There are some unfinished business from the developer and there's also some maintenance issues that are now the responsibility of the individual property owners in the building," said Ossining Village Manager Debbie McDonnell.
News 12 also obtained violations dating back to last year, including summonses for having a damp basement, no staircase to the roof and plumbing issues. Some residents have even considered filing lawsuits.