Investigators: Candle may be to blame for Yonkers apartment firePosted: Updated:
Investigators say that a knocked-over candle may be to blame for a fire in Yonkers overnight.
Fire officials say a call came in at around 10:45 p.m. on Wednesday night about flames on the first floor of the four-story apartment building at 155 Livingston Ave.
Everyone was able to get out of the building safely and people stood out on the street in their pajamas watching the firefighters work.
Crews packed the street as they fought to keep the fire from spreading to the entire building. The flames were knocked out in about 15 minutes. The first floor apartment where it started was destroyed and while there was some damage in other parts of the building, it was saved.
Firefighters say it was rough inside. "Mostly smoke, there was so much smoke in there, it was actually hard to find the fire because all the windows and doors were closed, it started smoldering," says Yonkers Assistant Fire Chief Edward Cucolo.
A tenant living in the apartment where the fire started told News 12 that she had a lit candle near a statue of a saint that fell over and started the fire.
Other than the people living in the apartment where the fire started, most of the residents were able to go back home.