Greenburgh paramedics save lives of opioid-overdosing couplePosted: Updated:
Quick-thinking first responders are being credited with saving the lives of a husband and wife in a Hartsdale Michael's craft store.
Greenburgh paramedic supervisor Jared Rosenberg says he was at the store on Central Avenue when he noticed some signs of an opioid overdose in a woman in her early 30s.
"I looked at her face, and it was all blue,” Rosenberg says. “I realized she wasn't breathing. I quickly looked at her pupils. They were constricted."
Rosenberg gave the woman Narcan, an antidote for opioid overdoses. He also administered CPR, and within minutes she was breathing.
But as the woman was being brought to an ambulance, another crisis arose.
"When we got out to the ambulance, she started to say, ‘Where's my husband? Where's my husband?’" Rosenberg says.
Police found him in a nearby car, slumped over. Rosenberg use three doses of Narcan to save the man.
"The more first reponders who have access to it and recognize the signs and symptoms, they're going to save lives" Rosenberg says.
Narcan is now available in many pharmacies.