Busted boiler leaves Mt. Vernon tenants out in the cold

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT VERNON -

Dozens of families inside a Mount Vernon building say they have been without heat since Tuesday after a boiler broke.

The bitter cold has forced residents of 269 W. First St. to take drastic measures to stay warm. Carlos Nathan has his oven cranked up and wide open inside his apartment.

"Nobody deserves to live like this when it's cold," says Nathan.

The four-story building is home to about 45 people. Many tenants said they saw notices indicating the problem is being worked on.

The building's manager is also getting frustrated with contractors who either don't show up when they say they will or are late. He says the snow and holidays have made repairs hard to get.

The city formed a Heat Task Force to help in the process, but even Fire Commissioner Ted Beale appears to be less than optimistic.

"Right now, we're just at the mercy of the repairman," he says.

Commissioner Beale is reminding residents not to use their ovens and place space heaters three feet from any of the walls. Heat-related issues can be reported to the city at 914-665-2626.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."