Woman who contracted Legionnaires’ at nursing home diesPosted: Updated:
A woman who contracted Legionnaires' disease at a local nursing home has died.
Sky View Rehabilitation and Health Care Center in Croton-On-Hudson confirmed the death Thursday afternoon.
Sources close to the family have identified the victim as 93-year-old Carmella Scafuri.
She was one of two residents at Sky View Rehabilitation and Health Care Center who were hospitalized earlier this month after being diagnosed with Legionnaires' disease.
News 12 has learned that the second person is still receiving care.
Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia that is typically contracted when contaminated water is breathed in.
The nursing home released a statement saying, “Sky View remains committed to providing a safe environment of care. Under the guidance of Gordon & Rosenblatt, an independent consulting firm with extensive experience in Legionella prevention and control, we are implementing precautionary measures against possible exposure to Legionella, the bacteria that cause Legionnaires' disease."
Facility administrators tell News 12 that the water tested two to three months ago was negative for any bacteria. New test results are expected in the coming days.
The funeral for Scafuri is scheduled for Friday in Putnam County.