Chlorine leak temporarily shuts down roads in Croton

A chlorine leak at the Croton Village Water Plant shut down three major roads Tuesday and forced nearby residents to be temporarily evacuated. Workers at the plant on Route 129 were changing the regulator on a 150-pound chlorine gas cylinder around 7:30 a.m.. Water officials say although the valve was in the off position, something malfunctioned and chlorine gas began to leak in a high volume. Route 129 was shut down as well as Batton Road and Quaker Bridge Road.

The chemical company that makes the cylinder encased it in a special container and hauled it away around 10:30 a.m. The roads were reopened and residents were then allowed to return to their homes.Three people went to the hospital for exposure to the potentially deadly gas and were treated and released.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."