Bush's Iraq war plan garners mixed reviews
President Bush, in a televised address to the nation Thursday night, said he planned to begin withdrawing some troops from Iraq gradually, rejecting calls to end the war. Westchester and Hudson Valley residents came away with mixed reactions.President Bush said 5,700 troops could be home by Christmas instead of next spring as scheduled, and that four brigades - at least 21,500 troops - would return by July, along with an undetermined number of support forces. Now at its highest level of the war, the U.S. troop strength stands at 168,000.
Bush?s decision is based on General Patraeus' recommendations made to Congress earlier in the week.
And while many Americans and Democrats are pushing for more troops to come home and end the war, the president says it's too risky for Iraqi and American security.
Some residents, such as Adrienne Cacavio, of Tarrytown, say the war is a no-win situation, and that the U.S. should pull out as soon as possible. Cacavio said the situation in Iraq ?is not getting any better.?However, others support the president?s decision. John Minogue, of New City, says he is ?glad Bush is committed to being in Iraq.? Anthony Graziano, of Pearl River, says he also supports the president?s plan, but said he is sad that so many troops are losing their lives.
Related Information Bush rejects calls to end war, wants gradual withdrawal