FBI probe continues to cast shadow on mayor's race

Mayor Ernie Davis officially opened his campaign headquarters on Saturday despite the three subpoenas that landed in City Hall this week.

FBI agents raided City Hall looking into the city?s trash-hauling contracts with companies that possibly had mob connections. Now, News 12 Westchester has learned of a third subpoena.

Mayor Davis said he has done nothing wrong and that he plans to cooperate fully with the federal probe.

?I am running regardless of the costs. I?m running because it?s right,? the mayor said.

The first subpoena was issued against Mount Vernon?s housing director Lou Albano on Monday. Last year, the state took over the section 8 housing program because of alleged financial mismanagement.

On Thursday, federal agents took file cabinets looking for vouchers, cancelled checks, and other paperwork involving three companies with mob ties.

The third subpoena issued is seeking more documents, including the financial disclosure forms of Mayor Davis himself. The mayor said that the timing of these federal probes is suspect.

Mayor Davis is running for re-election on the Conservative and Independence party lines. The Democratic candidate, Clinton Young, has expressed his disappointment that the city has been hit by the federal probes, but he has not spoken about Mayor Davis directly.

However, Lyndon Williams (D - Mount Vernon), who is on the city council and is a candidate for the county legislature, chose to speak out.

?The mayor has made a lot of excuses and points a lot of fingers and blame to others, but he has been at the helm during this entire process that has given rise to these investigations,? Williams said.

Davis and Young will also be facing off against Janet Synder, the city's GOP chairwoman.

Davis hopes voters will not be swayed by this latest probe come election day.

Related information: FBI trash probe spills into Mt. Vernon mayoral race

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."