$2.4M Scarsdale home leveled by gas line rupture

An initial investigation shows a contractor using a backhoe accidentally ruptured a natural gas line, causing an explosion that leveled a $2.4 million Scarsdale home.

Crews were on the scene at Fayette Road Friday, cleaning up the debris left after the brand-new colonial home exploded Thursday.

Around 2:30 p.m. a neighbor smelled gas and called the fire department. When firefighters arrived, they quickly ordered all the contractors out of the home. The house exploded within minutes and fortunately no one was injured in the blast. No other homes were damaged either.The house, which was near completion, was up for sale.

Houseunder construction explodes in Scarsdale

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."