Toxic fumes cause evacuation in Congers

A report of toxic fumes caused a hazmat scare at a Rockland County business Friday morning.



Rockland County's hazmat team arrived at Intercos Global Cosmetics in Congers after overheated sorbic acid caused toxic fumes.



Owners of the building called for a voluntary evacuation after at least two people reported feeling ill just before 11 a.m. Several people were taken to the hospital as a precaution.



The hazmat team has since left the scene after securing the building.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."