Parents fear possible mold at Ramapo HS

Parents and educators at Ramapo High School say they fear for students' health after an employee was rushed to the hospital complaining of nausea and a headache due to the smell on Friday.



According to one teacher, custodians were told to use a lemon-scented cleaner to mask the odor. Classroom windows were also pushed open, and buckets were used to catch leaking water.



Longtime Spring Valley resident Steven White, who graduated from Ramapo High School in 1979, says the growing mold problem, inaction by the East Ramapo School Board, and the sickening odor compared to that of a rotting corpse, have him worried for the safety of students and staff.



"We cannot allow a child to be exposed to toxic mold because of failure of the school board to fix up this building," he says.



State Sen. David Carlucci says help is on the way, with $1 million in emergency money from the state to fix the high school's roof.



White says there are still other problems to deal with. "This board has shown that their main interest is the real estate value of the schools and not protecting the health and safety of the students," he says.



News 12 tried to reach the school district on more than one occasion, but calls have gone unanswered.



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."