Businesses evacuated after carbon monoxide scare

A carbon monoxide scare forced the shutdown of a number of businesses in Briarcliff Manor this morning.



Fire officials say they received alerts of fire alarms and carbon monoxide activation around 10:30 a.m. from businesses on Pleasantville Road. When they arrived, they found restaurant employees at 1201 Pleasantville Road using a gasoline-fueled power washer outside the basement of the building. Fumes from the power washer were seeping inside and into connecting businesses.



Briarcliff Manor Fire Chief Dennis Reilly says crews evacuated the businesses and then ventilated the area. After an hour, air quality readings were clear enough to let people back inside.



Chief Reilly says CO detectors might have saved some lives today. "You can't smell it. You can't see it. If they didn't have detectors, they wouldn't have known it was there."


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."