Mayor Zohran Mamdani announced that the city has partnered with the New York and New Jersey Host Committee to secure 1,000 affordable tickets to the FIFA World Cup.
News 12 previously reported thousands of dollars in ticket prices to get inside the stadium.
“Everything is very expensive for this. The city will benefit. I'm sure there'll be a lot of tax dollars, but for the enjoyment of the average New Yorker, it's going to be very difficult to attend," said soccer fan Sharon.
The tickets will be distributed to New Yorkers only through a lottery system, will cost $50. They are non-transferable and distributed at bus boarding to ensure they are going to New Yorkers and not resold at higher prices.
News 12 previously reported that transportation to the stadium isn't cheap either.
The lottery ticket prices include a free round-trip transportation to MetLife Stadium.
Kenneth Ryan says 1,000 tickets aren't enough.
“Basically, it's not close to enough. You have to do a lot more," said Ryan.
The tickets are split into batches of 150 tickets for each of the five group matches and two knockout-round matches.
The lottery opens on Monday at 10 a.m. and will be open for six days, capped at 50,000 per day. Those interested can only enter once a day.
The mayor also says that no taxpayer dollars are going towards the allocation of the tickets.