Newburgh SD unveils plan to bring students back to class amid superintendent's suspension
The Newburgh school district is unveiling its plans to bring students back to class next week - days after the Board of Education voted to suspend the district's top official.
Tuesday was acting superintendent Ed Forgit's first board meeting, and he was tasked with making sure more than 10,000 kids start the school year safely.
Forgit is in for Newburgh Superintendent of Schools Dr. Roberto Padilla who was suspended with pay last week as investigators look into allegations that he sexually harassed another teacher at a district conference earlier this month in San Diego, according to sources.
Students return to school next week, and the reopening plan announced Tuesday night includes five days of in-person learning, with a remote option only for students with health risks, mask mandates for everyone and weekly testing for unvaccinated staff.
Despite the ongoing change in leadership, Forgit says the district has been prepping staff for the big return to school next week.
"Training and education around the particular virus and healthy environments that administrators, teachers, and the adults in the building are aware of so that they're providing that environment for the students," says Forgit.
The board did not directly address Dr. Padilla's suspension, but it did go into executive session for about an hour and took a vote to officially appoint Forgit as the acting superintendent for as long as the investigation into Padilla takes.