Appeals court overturns conviction for man who shot fugitive

<p>An appeals court has overturned the manslaughter conviction of a man who fatally shot a fugitive he says he was trying to turn in to authorities.&nbsp;</p>

News 12 Staff

Aug 23, 2018, 7:11 PM

Updated 2,153 days ago

Share:

(AP) - An appeals court has overturned the manslaughter conviction of a New York man who fatally shot a fugitive he says he was trying to turn in to authorities.
David Carlson was convicted of first-degree manslaughter in the 2013 shooting of Norris Acosta-Sanchez. The Times Herald-Record reports he has maintained the shooting of the fugitive wanted on rape charges was self-defense.
 
Acosta-Sanchez had been charged with the statutory rape of a teenage girl and had been staying at a summer cabin by Carlson's home near the Pennsylvania border.
 
The decision issued Wednesday dismisses the 2016 trial's verdict based on flawed instructions to some jury members. It grants Carlson a new trial on the manslaughter charge.
 
Prosecutors say they are reviewing the decision and will decide how to proceed.


More from News 12