Monsey stabbing suspect appears in Rockland County Court

Posted: Updated:

The man accused in last month's brutal slashing attack in Monsey appeared in court Thursday.

Grafton Thomas was arraigned at the Rockland County Court House. He's been indicted on a slew of charges, including six counts of attempted murder.

Thomas is accused in the Dec. 28 slashing attack at a home on Forshay Road in Monsey that left one of the victims, Josef Neumann, in a coma.

Thomas, through his attorney, pleaded not guilty to all charges he faces on the state level, including six counts of attempted murder.

Thomas answered only one question in court, confirming his name to the prosecution, as he stood next to his attorney Michael Sussman.

MORE: Victim's family: 'Please stand up and stop this hatred'
MORE: Victim in Hanukkah stabbing attack in Monsey remains in critical condition
MORE: Off-duty and retired law enforcement to increase security for Jewish community
MORE: Cuomo says he'll propose domestic terror law to combat 'poison' of hate
MORE: Monsey stabbing suspect pleads not guilty, held on $5 million bail 
MORE: 'Shocked': Neighbors in Greenwood Lake stunned by suspect's arrest in Monsey stabbings 
MORE: Hate at Home: A Turn To Tara Special Report
MORE: Attorney for Monsey stabbing suspect requests mental health evaluation for client
MORE: Grafton Thomas indicted on attempted murder charges in Monsey Hanukkah stabbing

Sussman has said Thomas is mentally ill and not responsible for his actions, and on Thursday the judge ordered him to undergo an independent psychiatric evaluation.

Sussman also asked the court to be able to inspect the vehicle Thomas was apprehended in, and to visit the Monsey home where the stabbings occurred. That request is now possible under new bail reform laws.

Earlier this week, the 37-year-old from Greenwood Lake in Orange County was in federal court where he pleaded not guilty to a 10-count federal indictment.

Perhaps the most surprising moment though was when the prosecution said it would file a motion that Sussman resign from the case. That's after the prosecution says Sussman went to Thomas's second home in Sullivan County and took evidence, which makes him a civilian witness.

Sussman says he will not resign.

Thomas is due back here in court Feb. 18.

Earlier in the week, Grafton Thomas pleaded not guilty to federal hate crime charges.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."