Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree cut down in the Hudson ValleyPosted: Updated:
The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree was cut down in the Hudson Valley Wednesday - a sign the holiday season is upon us!
The 75-year-old Norway Spruce was cut down from the home of Shirley Figueroa and Lizette Gutierrez, along Route 32 in the Ulster County hamlet of Wallkill.
The tree is 72 feet tall, 45 feet in diameter and weighs 12 tons. Eventually, the tree will be strung with 50,000 multi-colored, LED lights.
The tree's owners tell News 12 that seeing it cut down and knowing it will be enjoyed by millions is truly bittersweet.
"It's a little emotional for me. I felt bad because she was an old tree...but I know it's for a good cause and for millions to enjoy," said Figueroa.
The tree will now make the 68-mile trek to New York City, arriving Saturday. That's when it will be put up and prepared for the world-famous lighting on Nov. 28.
Some levity on a heavy day.— Tara Joyce (@tarajoycetv) November 8, 2018
This is THE TREE now in route from the #HudsonValley to #RockefellerCenter!!
'Tis the season to BE KIND my friends. Let us remember that in these difficult moments. Let us take care of each other, help each other, love each other. Happy Holidays all pic.twitter.com/altgkf9OY3
Food & FunMore>>
- News 12's Samantha Crawford shows us sweet and savory French treats as she takes us inside Leila's Crepe Station.News 12's Samantha Crawford shows us sweet and savory French treats as she takes us inside Leila's Crepe Station.
- Barley Beach House in Rye is taking full advantage of its killer location overlooking Oakland Beach and the Long Island Sound.
- This week's winner in the quest for the Hudson Valley's favorite local spots is Brotherhood Winery in Washingtonville.This week's winner in the quest for the Hudson Valley's favorite local spots is Brotherhood Winery in Washingtonville.
- Caked Up on South Main Street in New City is putting a twist on some sweet treats.
- Music lovers and their families headed out to the Pleasantville Music Festival Saturday.Music lovers and their families headed out to the Pleasantville Music Festival Saturday.