AC plugged into power strip causes fire in Tuckahoe

Posted: Updated:
TUCKAHOE -

A home in Tuckahoe was damaged by a fire caused by an air conditioner.

Fire crews braved the flames in high temperatures on South High Street after a homeowner mistakenly plugged his air conditioner into a power strip.

Aaron Downey quickly had to evacuate with his two sons and elderly father. No one was injured.

The house's wires were fried and still hot to the touch in the hours following the flames being put out.

Eastchester Fire Chief Brian Tween says all appliances should be plugged into an electrical outlet in order to avoid an unsafe situation.

Downey says he is grateful to the firefighters for stopping the flames from spreading.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."