Yonkers man injured while escaping burning building

Posted: Updated:
YONKERS -

A Yonkers man was injured Wednesday evening while trying to escape a burning apartment building.

Luis Garcia says smoke filled his apartment building at 155 Livingston Ave. and the only way out was the fire escape.

He says the ladder got stuck and his arm got caught in the middle of the rungs, adding that a satellite dish attachment hindered his safety from the fire.

He managed to get out safely, but his arm was broken.  He will be undergoing surgery next week.

The building's super tells News 12 that while satellite dishes are permitted in the building, tenants are prohibited from installing them on the fire escape.

The person living in the apartment declined an on-camera interview, but says it was already there when they moved in.

Authorities say the fire started inside a first-floor apartment after a religious statue toppled over and landed on a burning candle.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."