Firefighters quickly douse blaze in Yonkers

Posted: Updated:
YONKERS -

Firefighters in Yonkers are being praised for dousing a blaze before it had a chance to spread overnight.

Crews responded to a call at 216 Buena Vista Ave. around 4 a.m. Monday. They say it appears the fire started when someone left a cigarette on a first-floor window sill and it somehow ignited some rubbish on the front porch. Officials say the flames got into the walls but 30 firefighters were able to stop the flames from spreading.

"We were able to get ahead of it and put it out pretty quick. An old building like this, we worry about it going to the next floor up, but we were able to put it out," says Yonkers Fire chief John Bonanno.

Six families live in the three-story home. Because the flames were doused so quickly, none of the families have been displaced. One of the units in the house had a badly damaged bathroom.

No injuries were reported, and the families were able to go back into their homes after the scene was cleared.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."