Gas leak forces evacuation at Mount Vernon HSPosted: Updated:
Classes are back to normal at Mount Vernon High School after a gas leak forced an evacuation of the school this morning.
Sources tell News 12 that before classes were supposed to get underway, a valve in a chemistry classroom was found to be leaking a small amount of gas.
The leak prompted the school to evacuate students and staff. "My first thoughts was like...’Why do I have to leave?’ I thought school was supposed to be safe…We had to get out. I wasn't ready for that," says student Nazir Davis.
Con Ed and the fire department came to check out the problem. After about an hour, students were allowed back into the school.