Electrical fire damages North Salem deli

Posted: Updated:
NORTH SALEM -

An electrical fire overcooked Kingsley's Deli and Pizzeria in North Salem Sunday night.

Multiple fire departments responded around 11 p.m. Sunday to the shop on June Road.

No one was hurt and fire officials say they saved the building, but the eatery will be closed for "quite some time," according to manager Pete Mendola.

Mendola says rainwater leaked inside and caused two freezers to short-circuit, sparking the fire.

The incident also displaced people from two upstairs apartments.

The deli first opened in 1958 and customers say it's been a mainstay in town since then.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."