Investigators: Pearl River fire may have started in wood stove exhaust pipe

Posted: Updated:
PEARL RIVER -

Investigators say a massive fire that destroyed a home in Pearl River may have started in the exhaust pipe of a wood stove.

The fire started shortly after 4:30 p.m. Monday.

Investigators say a 92-year-old woman was cooking inside the two-story home when the fire ignited in the kitchen.

No one else was in the home at the time.

Fire officials say while it was cold, they were thankful the temperatures had begun to rise.

Investigators say a firefighter broke his wrist and the elderly woman suffered minor burns trying to coax the family dog out of the house. 

She was taken to the hospital. It is unclear if the dog survived.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."