Disabled Somers woman dies in Christmas house fire

Posted: Updated:
SOMERS -

A disabled woman died when her Somers home went up in flames early Tuesday morning, according to authorities.

State police and firefighters arrived at 12 Hickory Road around 2:15 a.m. to find the house completely engulfed in flames, officials said.

The fire killed Harmony Thaler, 46, who neighbors say lived at the house alone and used a wheelchair to get around. One neighbor, who identified herself as Valerie and asked not to appear on camera, told News 12 that witnesses could hear someone calling for help from inside.

"It didn't take five minutes for that to go up like a lit match," she said of the house. "There was no saving her."

"It's just a shame right after Christmas, Christmas night matter fact," said Jim Fox, another neighbor. "It's just sad."

The Somers fire chief said that a space heater likely ignited the fire. State police are investigating, but they said the fire does not appear suspicious.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."