Elderly Harrison man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
HARRISON -

A 90-year-old Harrison man is dead after investigators say he made a fatal mistake and was overcome by carbon monoxide.

Police say it appears that John Buonsante left his car running in his New Haven Street garage overnight and was overcome by carbon monoxide gas Monday.

They say Buonsante was found in a living room chair around 9:30 a.m. Monday by his daughter, who called police.

Police say the ignition in Buonsante’s Chrysler was on in his attached garage, with the door closed.  The car had run out of gas by the time Buonsante was found, but fumes were still coming out of the vehicle.

Investigators say there were no working carbon monoxide or smoke detectors in the house.

Neighbors tell News 12 that the victim was a member of the Knights of Columbus and Saint Gregory's Church in Harrison.

Police say there were no signs of foul play.

.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."